Tuesday 24 April 2012

AS LL STREETCAR - PRODUCTION TASK EXAMPLE

A LEVEL ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND LITERATURE
ELLA 1 Integrated Analysis and Text Production
EXTRACT OF A STREETCAR PRODUCTION TASK

Below is an example of a production task for A Streetcar Named Desire. It's one example of the kind of question you are likely to get in the exam.

Hope you find this useful.  



Imagine a brief conversation between Eunice and Blanche at the end of Scene Three, after the first poker game, where Blanche returns to Eunice’s after her conversation with Mitch. Stella has returned to the apartment with Stanley. Write an extra section ofdialogue for the play in which Blanche tells Eunice how she feels about Stanley.

You should give careful consideration to your language choices and style, which should
achieve a sense of the voices of Blanche and Eunice. You should use dramatic dialogue
form.



[In Eunice’s apartment]

Blanche:                               I can’t go in there right now. He’s all over her. It’s disgusting. That animal!

Eunice:                                 That’s alright honey! Can I get you anything, water? A glass of milk? Or   something?

Blanche:                               Thank you. I’m so rattled, my nerves are all shot right now. I don’t suppose you have any liquor around the place do you? I hardly touch the stuff.

Eunice:                                 Yes of course I’ve got some of Steve’s whisky. That should calm you.

[Blanche reaches out for the bottle with both hands – slightly shaking]

Blanche:                               Thank you for your kindness. I’ll just take one little nip for medicinal purposes, nothing else. I had a drink earlier in the evening but that’s worn off now.  And besides this has been such a shock. I’ve never seen such behaviour in a man before…drunk and violent and so passionate. I don’t know how she can bare to spend a moment with him. There must be something I can do to her, especially in her condition. Did you know Stella was pregnant?