Thursday 8 May 2014

AS ENGLISH LIT - JANE EYRE - KEY EPISODES - QUOTES

SOME KEY EPISODES AND QUOTATIONS - chosen in class

Fight between John Reed and Jane - chapter 1 pages 13 - 14
  • 'Take her away to the red room, and lock her in there.' page 14
  • 'Wicked and cruel boy! You are like a murderer - you are like a slave driver - you are like the Roman emperors! page 13

Jane in the red room - chapter 2 pages 19 - 22 
  • "The red room was a square chamber" -
  • "Deep red damask" -
  • "It was the chamber he breathed his last."
Jane meets Brocklehurst - chapter 4 pages 38 - 42
  • 'I must keep in good health and not die.' page 39

Jane's confrontation with Mrs Reed - chapter 4 pages 44 - 45
  • 'I am not deceitful if I were I would say I loved you.' page 44

Brocklehurst comes to Lowood - Chapter 7 pages 78 -80

  • "pedestal of infamy" - page 79
  • "what my sensations were, no language can describe...." 79
Helen Burns death - chapter 9 pages 96 - 98
  • 'Miss Temple, on returning to her own room at dawn, had found me laid in a crib; my face against Helen Burns's shoulder, my arms round her neck. I was asleep and Helen was dead.' page 98

Jane and Rochester meet pages chapter 12 pages 133 - 136
  • 'I cannot commission you to fetch help,' he said; but you may help me a little yourself, if you will be so kind.' page 135

Jane and Rochester interview - chapter 13 pages 142 - 150*
  • ' When you came on me in Hay Lane I thought unaccountably of fairy tales' page 143


Fire in Rochester's bedroom - chapter 15 pages 172 - 177
  • "Dreadly dark my spirits were depressed."
  • "In the mist of blazing and vapour, Rochester lay stretched motionless"

Jane looks after Richard Mason - chapter 20 pages 238 - 245
  • "Can I help you sir?- I'd give my life to serve you" 236
  • "The moon was full and bright."238
  • "A sharp shrilly sound ran end to end of Thornfield." 238
Rochester proposes to Jane - chapter 23 pages 289 - 295
  • "Do you think because I am poor, obscure, plain and little I am soulless and heartless?"
  • Poor and obscure and small and plain as you are I entreat to accept me as a husband."
  • "I offer you my heart and a share of all my possessions."
  • "the cord of communion will be snapped"
Jane confronts Bertha - chapter 25 pages 326 - 328
  • 'She was, 'fearful and ghastly to me', 'It was a discoloured face - it was a savage face.' '...the roll of the red eyes and the fearful blackened inflation of the lineaments!' '...the foul German spectre - the vampire.' page 327
  • 'I had at heart a strange and anxious thought.'
Jane's wedding day - chapter 26 pages 333 - 337 the church, pages 338 - 340 the Hall
  • 'Mr Rochester has a wife now living.' pages 334
Jane leaves Thornfield - chapter 27 pages 370 - 385
  • ['Reader I forgave him at the moment and on the spot.' page 344]
  • 'Gentle reader, may you never feel what I felt!'  page 370
  • 'I walked along my solitary way.' page 370 

Jane discovers she is an heir to a fortune and has a family - chapter 33 pages 440 - 444
  • 'Merely to tell you that your Uncle, Mr Eyre of Madeira is dead; that he has left you all his property, and that now you are rich - merely that - nothing more.' page 440
  • 'You three, then, you are my cousins; half our blood on each side flows from the same source?' 'We are cousins; yes.' page 444

Hears Rochester's voice - chapter 35 pages 483
  • 'And it was the voice of a human being...that of E F Rochester, and it spoke in pain, and woe, wildly, eerily, urgently.' chapter 353 page 483

Meets Rochester at Ferndean - chapter 37 pages 499 - 501
  • 'I rested his wandering hand and imprisoned it in mine.' page 500
  • 'I am an independent woman now.' page 501

  • 'Reader, I married him.' page 517

A paragraph

Rochester continues to increase Jane's torment  as a way to force her to disclose her love for him. Rochester says referring to their friendship, 'the cord of communion will be snapped.' Bronte has Rochester use metaphorical,  alliterative and onomatopoeic language to force Jane to visualise their inevitable separation and make it more painful. She has him use low frequency lexical choice of 'communion' that elevates their relationship to something sacred and holy.

*Although this is a long extract it is a great dialogue between Rochester and Jane.