Wednesday 13 January 2021

Macbeth Edexcel exam question

 SECTION A—Shakespeare

Answer the question on ONE text from this section.

You should spend about 55 minutes on this section.

You should divide your time equally between parts (a) and (b) of the question.

Macbeth—from Act 1 Scene 5, lines 1 to 35

In this extract, Lady Macbeth is reading Macbeth’s letter at their castle at Inverness.

Enter LADY MACBETH, reading a letter

LADY MACBETH

'They met me in the day of success: and I have learned by the perfectest report, they have more in them than mortal knowledge. When I burned in desire to question them further, they made themselves air, into which they vanished. Whiles I stood rapt in 5 the wonder of it, came missives from the king, who all-hailed me 'Thane of Cawdor;' by which title, before, these weird sisters saluted me, and referred me to the coming on of time, with 'Hail, king that shalt be!' This have I thought good to deliver 10 thee, my dearest partner of greatness, that thou mightst not lose the dues of rejoicing, by being ignorant of what greatness is promised thee. Lay it to thy heart, and farewell.'

Glamis thou art, and Cawdor; and shalt be 15 What thou art promised: yet do I fear thy nature; It is too full o' the milk of human kindness To catch the nearest way: thou wouldst be great; Art not without ambition, but without The illness should attend it: what thou wouldst highly, 20 That wouldst thou holily; wouldst not play false, And yet wouldst wrongly win: thou'ldst have, great Glamis, That which cries 'Thus thou must do, if thou have it; And that which rather thou dost fear to do Than wishest should be undone.' Hie thee hither, 25 That I may pour my spirits in thine ear; And chastise with the valour of my tongue All that impedes thee from the golden round, Which fate and metaphysical aid doth seem To have thee crown'd withal. 30

A1 English Resources

1 (a) Explore how Shakespeare presents the relationship between Macbeth and Lady Macbeth in this extract.

Refer closely to the extract in your answer. (20)

(b) In this extract, Lady Macbeth discusses the trait of ruthlessness.

Explain the importance of ruthlessness elsewhere in the play.

In your answer you must consider:

• when ruthlessness is shown

• the reasons for the ruthlessness

You should refer to the context of the play in your answer. (20)

(Total for Question 6 = 40 marks)