Thursday 12 May 2016

A2 LL - CUPCAKES MODEL RECAST COMMENTARY ON ARAFAT QUESTION

This online profile of Yassar Arafat the President of Palestine is essentially informative. It's written for a general audience and uses a formal, low frequency lexis and formal register. The online article is mildly sympathetic to Arafat and uses some selective emotive lexis to encourage the audience to see him sympathetically.


The main purpose of this article is to be informative. The whole profile is dominated by declaratives. I used a variety of short, simple and long complex sentences to create variety and keep my audiences attention. The sentences are full of personal details and everyday facts about his life. I repeated the idea of Arafat being a soldier and also a President. But ended the profile with an emotionally charged image of him as a father. I used the daughter as a symbol of Palestine and Arafat as its father.

This is a personal profile of Yassar Arafat a man the narrator spent some time with. Therefore I wanted to make Arafat appear accessible to readers. I did this by using high frequency lexis coupled with a generally formal register. For example [  ]. This is a short simple declarative. I used the abstract noun 'court' instead of 'home' to elevate Arafat's status. I also use the verb 'hectic' to contrast with 'court'. It's an every day domestic word that readers can relate to.

Finally, this is an online profile much like a hard copy print article. I used headings and sub-headings to guide readers through the text. I also used links to other websites for more detailed information as this is an online article. I used alliteration in the main heading as a pleasing and satisfying experience for readers.

The text is full of emotive lexis like 'death', 'sacrifice', and 'daughter'. These are used to encourage readers to develop a sympathetic response to Arafat as well as engage them powerfully.