Saturday 4 February 2012

Two Thoughts - Skim Reading / Simplicity

As I was writing the last post two thoughts came to me. I didn't want to add them because the last post was quite long so here they are.

Skim Reading - No one told me how to do this but I've found it incredibly helpful over the years especially teaching novels or plays.

Firstly identify an extract of the text to skim read; it maybe a chapter or part of a chapter. You may be looking for a quotation or want to remind yourself of a specific scene or episode.

Then read the opening sentence of each paragraph in the extract. If the sentence looks promising read the paragraph. If not move on. It is surprising how much will come back to you. And you may find relevant quotations and points for other parts of the essay.

Additionally, as you have already read the text independently - and we have read it in class - you should read any annotations you've made on the page and read what you have underlined.

If you like you could just read the last sentence of each paragraph. Or read the first and the last sentence of each paragraph.

Another skim reading method I've used is to let my eyes wander over a page and allow my eyes to focus on a word or a phrase embedded in a paragraph. This helps me to remember the episode clearly and has helped me find those difficult to find quotations.




Simplicity - One of the keys to a successful essay is simplicity. I've met students recently who have ignored what we have discussed in class and feel they have to say something new and fresh that no one has said before. They totally ignore what we discussed in class. Students should use classroom discussion as an important source for their essays.

Your essay should be written using simple and straightforward English. Complex ideas are good but you should break them down into smaller and simpler ideas. It may take two or three paragraphs to make a complex point. Generally avoid writing long complex sentences in essays. Often the meaning is lost in a long sentence.