Thursday 28 March 2013

AS ENGLISH LITERATURE - WORK OVER EASTER

Here are the two timed questions you sat during the last week of term.

If you were absent for the timed work in class you should write your essay[s] to time at home and hand this in to me when you come back - the week beginning 15 April.

If you did sit both papers then you should give yourself an hour to write the Jane Eyre question you did not choose in class.

You should also write a second Emily Dickinson question. Posted with this - below.

Charlotte Bronte:  Jane Eyre

Either

(a) 'For each is the saviour to the other.'

How far and in what ways is this statement an accurate description of the relationship between Rochester and Jane?

Or

(b) Bronte has been described as a writer 'acutely aware of place.' In the light of this comment explore the significance of setting in Jane Eyre.

Emily Dickinson

Discuss the ways in which Dickinson presents death in (712) Because I could not stop for death.

In your answer, explore the effects of language, imagery and verse form and consider how this poem relates to other poems by Dickinson that you have studied.

(712)
 
Because I could not stop for Death –
He kindly stopped for me – 
The Carriage held but just Ourselves – 
And Immortality.

We slowly drove – He knew no haste
And I had put away
My labor and my leisure too,
For His Civility –

We passed the School, where Children strove
At Recess – in the Ring – 
We passed the Fields of Gazing Grain – 
We passed the Setting Sun –

Or rather – He passed us –
The Dews drew quivering and chill –
For only Gossamer, my Gown –
My Tippet – only Tulle –

We paused before a House that seemed
A Swelling of the Ground –
The Roof was scarcely visible –
The Cornice – in the Ground –

Since then – 'tis Centuries – and yet
Feels shorter than the Day
I first surmised the Horses' Heads
Were toward Eternity –