Saturday 29 September 2012

A2 LL - An analytical paragraph

To help with your home work here is an example of an analytical paragraph. It follows the structure I showed you in class. I've used a point from A Streetcar Named Desire and the analytical framework I've used is from the spoken word. 

Can you identify the different elements of the paragraph?

Where is the main point?

I've not expanded on the main point in this paragraph.

Where do I introduce the quotation?

How many commentary points do I make?

And where do I mention the effect on the reader?

Mitch is awkward and self-conscious when he is talking to Blanche. An example of this can be found in scene 6 after Mitch and Blanche’s date to a fair ground. As they say good night Mitch asks, ‘Can I – uh – kiss you – good-night?’ This interrogative emphasises Mitch’s nervousness and anxiety. Romance does not come naturally to Mitch. The three hesitations, indicated by dashes are used as a non - fluency feature used here to simulate spontaneous speech. And the filler ‘uh’ all combines to express Mitch’s awkwardness. This quotation and these techniques make us feel sorry for Mitch. Perhaps even think of him as a pathetic and desperate character.

I hope you find this helpful for your homework.