Friday 26 April 2013

AS ENGLISH LITERATURE - SOME KEY QUOTATIONS

Here are some quotations from the end of Jane Eyre. Comment on them.

"'poor, emaciated, pallid, wanderer.'" page 389

"'Show me how to work, or how to seek work: that is all I now ask;
then let me go...'"page 400

"Worn out with all tortures of thought I rose to my knees. Night was come, and her planets were risen; a safe, still night: too serene for the companionship of fear." page 373

"I was bought face to face with Necessity. I stood in the position of one without a resource, without a friend, without a coin. page 375

'I scorn your idea of love,' I could not help saying as I rose up and stood before him, leaning my back against the rock. 'I scorn the counterfeit sentiment you offer...' page 471


It was my time to assume ascendancy. My powers were in play and in force. page 484


Sacrifice! What do i sacrifice? Famine for food, expectation for content To be privileged  to put my arms round what value - to press my lips to what I love - to repose on what I trust; is that to make a sacrifice? If so then certainly I delight in sacrifice.'

And to bear in my infirmities, Jane: to overlook by deficiencies.'

Which are none, sir, to me.' page 513


I have now been married ten years. I know what it is to live entirely for and with what I love best on earth. I hold myself supremely blest - blest beyond what language can express; because I am my husband's life as fully as he is mine. page 519